On August 6, 1901, at Lawton a land lottery was held. About 200,000 people registered, either at Fort Sill or El Reno, in person or by proxy, the number being more than fifteen times as many as there were available places. The land to be drawn for included what is now Caddo, Comanche, Cotton, Kiowa, and Tillman Counties. Roughly, there were 13,000 tracts of 160 acres each available. There was more land than this, but what was supposed to be the most choice lands had been reserved for the Indians. The largest of these, about 440,000 acres, was the Big Pasture. There were three other smaller areas also set aside for the Indians.
Tillman County was named after the Honorable Benjamin R Tillman, United States senator from South Carolina.
Indian & Pioneer Histories
Tillman County Neighbors
Search Tillman County OKGenWeb and Archives